Thomas Albrechtsen has long-standing experience within real estate transactions, M&A real estate and listed companies.
His legal work includes cross-border matters, the establishment of fund structures, and transactions involving special asset classes such as hotel & leisure, shopping centres and the senior housing/residential care segments. Moreover, he has extensive experience within financing, refinancing and complex restructurings, primarily within the real estate and shipping industries.
Thomas Albrechtsen advises Danish and international investors, fund/asset managers, property investment companies and financial institutions.
The Danish Bar and Law Society
- 2019: Acting for a Danish hotel investor in connection with an indirect acquisition of two Danish Scandic hotels in Aarhus and Roskilde, respectively (confidential purchase price)
- 2019: Acting for Catella Asset Management in connection with creating an asset management set-up concerning Admiral Capital A/S (now BoStad A/S)
- 2018: Acting for a Danish hotel investor in connection with a DKK 500m acquisition of a portfolio of six hotels in operation. A highly complex transaction involving a number of inter-related components, including: (i) advising clients on a buy-in via the pre-existing debt as well as the equity, (ii) advising clients on new hotel management agreements with an international hotel operator for a refurbishment and rebranding of the hotels, (iii) advising on the funding structure and borrower-side representation in respect of the acquisition finance and the related capex-line, (iv) providing legal advice as to the holding structure and fund flows, (v) advising clients on the transition from the former operator to the new operator
- 2018: Acting for Catella Asset Management in connection with the conclusion of agreements concerning the construction of 500 student-housing units, known as the ”Cactus Towers” in Copenhagen, designed by Danish Bjarke Ingels Group (BIG)
- 2018: Acting for a Danish owner of a hotel property in connection with a re-negotiation of a hotel management agreement on a major, branded hotel and advising on a re-financing of the asset obtained from a Central European bank. The transaction involved a complex recalibration of certain key components of the hotel management agreement, including the split between owner and operator of the obligations in respect a property improvement plan, capex and FF&Es. Negotiation of the loan and security documentation relating to the re-financing as well as the unwinding of the existing financing and the alignment of the loan documentation with the structure of the very complex hotel management agreement and operational set-up
- 2013-2018: Advising a group of Danish and international lenders in the two-phase restructuring of a multi-national shipping company (original balance sheet total in excess of USD 1bn) in 2014 and 2018
- 2012-2016: Advising the international lender group in the two-phase restructuring of TORM A/S in 2012 and 2016. The initial restructuring in 2012 was awarded “Restructuring Deal of the Year” by Marine Money in 2013. Marine Money wrote:
“By far the largest recipients of nominations, perhaps due to its size and complexity was the restructuring of the existing secured and unsecured debt owed by TORM A/S and its subsidiaries. The restructuring, the largest ever lender-led restructuring in shipping, involved a complex simultaneous financial and corporate restructuring of the entire TORM Group and injection of new capital into the Group to provide much needed short-term liquidity.”